Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kyle Rayner - Resurrectionist

Ragnell has some interesting points about Kyle Rayner and life and death. Kyle has bad luck with women, where every girl he has dated since becoming a Green Lantern has died. Donna Troy is alive again, but she was dead. there is even a term for it: Women in Refrigerators, where a woman is killed or raped by a supervillain to motivate the superhero to fight.

As an aside, I was never really aware of the amount of sexism in comics, (I mean, I knew there was some, but I didn't really think about it), and then I found a few sites that discussed it, and now I am annoyed at how much of it I see.

But back to Ragnell and Kyle:
Kyle Rayner has either actually performed or facilitated the resurrection of a dead person (or persons) on five different occasions. These aren't deaths that are just retconned away as never having happened. These are people who were in-continuity dead, and the plot was that he went out of his way and brought them back to life.

And, if you take into account that there were 5 dead Leaguers (not counting Kyle) in that JLA story, and the dead Guardians numbered 15, 31, or 35 (Kalinara and I are still arguing this one), that's actually quite a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment