Thursday, November 29, 2007

Multiverses and Canon

In a follow up to DC's Multiple Earths List, theres this on how it all relates to canon and the stories these worlds were created to emulate. [Link]
I have a feeling my Nu-Multiverse concerns will all be moot by this time next year. In the 6 1/2 months since 52 #52, over half of the Nu-Multiverse has been catalogued, and I can’t help but think that the other Earths will be mapped by the end of Final Crisis. The Nu-Multiverse seems to be an unsustainable closed system, so I don’t see it surviving Final Crisis. Instead, I imagine FC will open up DC’s cosmology somehow, either by bringing back the classic Infinite-Earths model or by reaffirming Hypertime (or something similar).

Maybe that will reaffirm the divide between the “real” stories and the “imaginary” ones. This line of thinking does make me sympathetic to the Monitors’ desire to keep everything properly compartmentalized. I wouldn’t want another reality’s nigh-omnipotent quasi-deities casting a critical eye on my home universe.

They’re all imaginary stories, of course; but the mashup which is the Nu-Multiverse demonstrates the need for some stories to be watched more closely than others.

I don't see them going back to one universe after Final Crisis either. An infinite number of worlds is ok by me as long as they are not an every issue affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment