Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pointless additions to Dune

The David Lynch version. [Link]
Sure, at 8 years old I understood the film even less than the critics that it utterly perplexed, but it struck a chord with me. Eventually, I sought out the books -- and even learning how vastly inferior the movie was by comparison never totally soured me on it. Still, Lynch overstuffed it with completely superfluous additions that range from the oddball, to the confusing, to the downright sacrilegious. I'm perfectly aware that a director will inevitably want to put his or her mark on a project, even one based on pre-existing material -- but there's a fine line between expression and desecration: Here are 10 examples that ride a sandworm right over it.
I like Lynch's version - at least the visual design.

No comments:

Post a Comment