Thursday, April 28, 2016

Why I Came Out As A Gay Children's Book Author

Why I Came Out As A Gay Children's Book Author
Good. "And then, shortly after same-sex marriage became legal around the country and my boyfriend became my husband, I was at an elementary school in New Jersey. The question came up: “Are you married?” I was wearing my wedding ring. I’d been married for a month. I was really excited about it. So I said, “Yes, I am.” “What does your wife do for a job?” the girl asked. “Well, I have a husband, not a wife, and he’s a teacher.” One or two of the boys looked at each other puzzled and then not puzzled. A girl giggled and another girl elbowed her in the side. And that was it. I’d just come out to a room full of kids and they didn’t really care. The next question was about whether I would ever write another military action book (I’d written six by then; they came with dog tags). I said I would and the boy who’d asked high-fived the boy next to him because they really liked my military action books. After the talk, I signed books. Everyone was really excited to get a book signed by a “real author.” Kids wanted to know what breed my dog was and which football team I liked. Some of the boys told me I should be ashamed of myself…for liking the New York Jets. They weren’t wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment