Saturday, July 08, 2017

Civilians shouldn’t have to de-escalate police

Civilians shouldn’t have to de-escalate police
We are expected to de-escalate and remain calm. Facts are less important than how the officer feels. This may be the law, but it is not right. "On May 3, I was confronted at gunpoint by Officer Janish while I was putting a license plate on an SUV that I purchased from his mother-in-law the previous week. The incident occurred in her driveway, which is across the street from Officer Janish’s home. Janish, who was off-duty, thought I was stealing the truck. After investigating, Knoxville Police determined that Officer Janish’s actions were “lawful and proper.” My case is another example of how the system is broken. Although my encounter didn’t end tragically, it could have, as all too many have (Philando Castile, Walter Scott, Michael Brown and others), and his actions likely would have still been deemed “lawful and proper.” Read more here: http://ift.tt/2sZV2Wk"

No comments:

Post a Comment